Sunday, March 01, 2009

"Be the change you want to see in the world"


A few weeks ago I started a new job.
I am the new fundraising and publicity manager at Worcestershire Association for the Blind.
I love it.
It is a small county wide charity that provides support, information and empowerment to visually impaired and blind people across the county of Worcestershire. The office is also a drop in centre for people with visual impairments so every day I see the good that the charity is doing and the people that it is helping directly.
The other day I watched a group of about 15 blind people do country dancing in the hall, I've heard stories about them skydiving, running marathons and playing golf. The only thing different between me and these people is that my eyes work perfectly well.
In charity terms, visual impairments is not 'sexy'. Cancer is 'sexy', animals are 'sexy', third world needs are 'sexy'. But if you woke up tomorrow and could not see, how would you now what the weather was like to decide what to wear? How would you choose clothes that matched? How would you get toothpaste on the toothbrush? How would you know your toast was cooked, or that your teacup was full of boiling water?
It wasn't until I started work and started talking to people that I really ever thought about this and now it is something that I feel really passionate about. I want to change this charity, I want to use my skills to move the charity forward so that it can be the best it can be.
I have found a revitalised passion for my work now that I am in a new role. I have remembered that I am actually quite good at what I do. I look forward to going to work every day and find it hard to stop thinking about it when I get home at night.
I feel alive again.

1 comment: